5. Own it!
... October 09, 2016 09:33
Well ladies fall is officially here, and we can't say we are entirely too mad about it. Here are a few things that we absolute love about fall, and we hope you agree!
This is the perfect time of year. You can break out your boots that you have been wanting to wear, layer with flannel and fun jackets. Fall is seriously prime fashion time.
We are basic b*thces and we ain't mad. Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, PSL, pumpkins in general. Trader Joes looks like pumpkin threw up everywhere and we are buying it all!
I don't think we have to explanin much about basically the best holiday of the year. Eating candy, having cocktails and seeing adorable little kiddies dressed up as puppies - need we say more?
Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, Modern Family and all the shows we have been eagerly awaiting since they end on cliff hangers in May are back. I guess we will give Netflix a break.
Say hello to cookies, cakes, Mexican food, and overeating in general. These next few months are the best food months of the year. Our waist line isn't happy about it, but that is what New Years resolutions are for, right?!
It seems as though your skin is the one thing you can count on breaking out at the most inopportune time! Whether it is a friends wedding, or a date you have had planned for weeks a pimple or blemish always pops up the day before and you can't seem to get it to go away. We are giving you a few tips to keep your skin in tip top shape, and hopefully avoid those unwelcome facial visitors!
1. Exfoliate - probably the oldest trick in the book, but there is a reason it has been around for what seems like forever. We are currently addicted to our Clarisonic.
2. Use a lighter foundation in the summer - since it seems like there is always too much sweat and oil in the warmer months, using a lighter foundation will let your skin breath a little more freely.
3. Keep your skin hydrated - use a light moisturizer or even buy the water spritzing facial sprays. We are loving the Evian facial spray.
4. Drink water - and lots of it. This will help with detoxification and get all the junk out of your system . Drink at least eight - 8 ounce glasses of good old water throughout the day, and more if you are in the sun! Make sure to look into using a glass water bottle, it doesn't have all the toxins of a plastic one.
5. Apply & Reapply - there is no such thing as too much sunscreen in our eyes. If in doubt re-apply, or even wear a hat. Also, many moisturizers now come with SPF 15 to keep you covered even on the least sunny of days.
6. Oil free - like we mentioned above your face can become a oily mess in a hurry. Always look for an oil free moisturizer or sunscreen to keep things light and acne free (hopefully)
We hope these tips leaving you glowing all summer long!
... June 26, 2016 00:00
“Summertime” by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
¾ c. late-harvest white wine
1 c. diced fresh pineapple
¼ c. pomegranate seeds
6 oz. vodka
1 c. mango lemonade
1 c. pink lemonade blended with ½ cup of strawberries
1 c. regular lemonade
1 c. ice
Fill blender with 1/3 of vodka and mango lemonade and ice. Blend and set aside. Repeat 2 more times, first with strawberry/pink lemonade then regular lemonade.
Chill each mixture, and keep each layer chilled until ready to pour in glass.Pour into serving glass in layers starting with mango mix, then strawberry/pink lemonade mix, and lastly regular lemonade.
Photo Credit: www.delish.com
... June 16, 2016 00:00
We are currently obsessing over the faux leather moto jacket trend. Even better, it goes great with workout gear. Get rid of your old hoodie and toss on an edgy moto jacket to freshen up the look. Nicole Richie and Khloe Kardashian are the latest celebs to catch onto the trend, and we are hoping it sticks around.
Hawk and Holly Picks:
Say hello to Kait! Kait and her husband, Jared, live in Salt Lake City. They have two adorable puppies, Evra and Winnie. She recently graduated with her Masters from University of Virginia. Some people say God doesn’t give with both hands, but Kate has the brains and the smile to prove them wrong! Her love for simple styles made her a perfect model for Hawk & Holly.
…and I don’t mean the kind you get from a nice Merlot! Dark lips can be one of the sexiest and HARDEST looks to master. There are a few key steps to follow to keep the color going strong and looking fresh all night!
- Exfoliate!!! This is a very important, often overlooked step. Flakey lips can be a disaster under a rich lipstick color. It can leave your lips looking dry and patchy. E.L.F has an amazing (and affordable) lip exfoliator to smooth out those bad boys.
- Moisturize!! Once you get exfoliate make sure to add a coat of your favorite non-oily lip balm. Keep in mind, anything to greasy can cause an issue with the durability of the color you put over the top.
- Base Coat!! You have a few options here. You can use a tiny bit of your normal foundation or try an actual lip primer. You don’t need to glob so much on that you can’t tell where your lips start and skin ends. A think coat should do the trick to allow you to see the lipsticks true color when you apply, also, it gives it a little something to grab on to.
- Liner!! A neutral lip liner is a safe bet, because no matter the color of lipstick you are using, it will blend easily. However, if you do have a lip liner that matches the lip color, that is great too! Just make sure you line the lips carefully AND fill them in. This, paired with the foundation will help hold the color on.
- Color!! This step should be pretty self explanatory...pick your lip color and apply.
- Set the Lipstick!! Take a very thin tissue and place over the lips. Lightly dust a setting powder over the tissue. Just enough will get through to set the lipstick without looking like you had a powdered donut for dinner.
Christmas music is blaring in every store over the sound of screaming children. Frenzied customers are fighting over the last toy, or blender, or perfume set on sale. The mall parking lot resembles a demolition derby. Your least favorite co-worker is drunkenly chatting your ear off at the office party. Does any of this sound familiar?
Even with all of this nonsense going on, this time of year is my absolute favorite. This is my favorite time of year because I like to focus on the magic of Christmas, not the stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I love my tree and all the trimmings. But, I love it because of what it represents. It reminds me of wonderful Holidays when I was younger. Every year, meeting at My Grandpa’s house with ALL of my family at the end of the day and be with the ones we loved. It reminds me of making Christmas cookies with my Mom and Dad blaring Christmas carols. As you grow up, people lose sight of the magic of Christmas that children see. They get lost in being an adult and focus on all the wrongs things this time of year (see my first paragraph if you have already forgotten what I am referring to)
When Christmas rolls around, I am forever that 8 year old kid waking up wide eyed and ready to celebrate. You can think I am crazy for wanting to hear “White Christmas” by Bing Crosby for the 1,765th time. You can think I’m crazy time for dancing with the ridiculous singing Moose Figurine that is on my parents table every year. But, while you sit there and think I’m the crazy person, I’m going to melt into that tune and shake my butt to that Moose song and let them take my eight year old heart off the shelf so I can enjoy the magic this time of year brings.
I had the opportunity to answer a few questions for www.ustrendy.com. Here is our interview!
As notorious Gretchen Wieners once said, “You wouldn’t buy a skirt without asking your friends first if it looks good on you, right?” Of course not! Even the owner of our newest boutique, Hawk and Holly, notes her girlfriends’ vital wisdom for always staying on top of trends. With items like the Alice Anorak Jacket, the fab owners reveals why classic “with a twist” is the way to go! See the interview below!
-Describe your clothing line in three words.
Classic, Easy, Chic.
-What motivated you to open your own business?
I was having a hard time finding classic items, that weren’t outrageously priced. I love basics with a twist, and couldn’t find them anywhere. I thought I could bring that to people.
-Describe your style.
I am not huge into trends, I like to keep things simple. Black, white and gray are my color staples and I think you can do so much with just those colors. You can dress up or down an outfit so easily. Putting on a black blazer for a night out, or a gray cardigan for a day at work.
-What does your boutique say about your style?
I think it sticks true to my style. We have plenty of classics, like a boyfriend tee, but also a flair of color or style like the heart sweater. It is totally adorable, but not too over the top! We want pieces that can last a lifetime.
–Your 3 wardrobe staples: Black jeans, blazer & nude pump
– Favorite fashion decade: I think the 50’s were amazing! The cinched waist dresses, and Grace Kelly! Everyone was elegant, but still took risks.
-What are you most excited to wear this season? Capes and Ponchos!
-You’d never be caught dead wearing: Overalls
-One thing you couldn’t live without: Mac & Cheese – urgh does it have to be clothing related? Black jeans! (can you tell I am obsessed with them?)
– Favorite Celebrity Fashion Icon: This is a tough one. Right now I am loving Gigi Hadid. She does so many classics, but also steps out of the box, but nothing eccentric and over the top. She knows how to dress. But I do love Jennifer Aniston, even though she wears black a majority of the time it always looks amazing and I am never bored with her.
-What fad would you bring back? None! I look back at pictures from years ago, and think what was I wearing?!
-Perfect night on the town outfit: Pumps, a skinny jean, and a good fitting jacket. I love when things are crisp and clean.
-What is your fav part about having your own clothing line/owning your own boutique? I love having a vision of what I want, and it coming to life. It is amazing to see how versatile everything is and how it can work for each body type. I have this group text with some of my girlfriends and I am constantly running stuff by them, whether its what they are loving now, or what colors are best (if I had it my way – everything would be black, white and gray :)). It is neat to see what everyone likes and different opinions on things, it has opened my mind up tremendously.
Say hello to Alyssa! She has been modeling for Hawk and Holly since the launch of the website. As one of Mandy’s best friends (Owner, Hawk and Holly). The two work together to style the looks you see Alyssa wear. Alyssa’s gorgeous smile is duplicated on her adorable daughter, Paityn. Paityn sassy personality is also a trademark she gets from her Momma. You can see this fun side of our beautiful model in all of her pictures!
As the fall weather finally starts cooling things off, it’s time to go through those closets and make sure you have the right items to keep yourself comfy and cute! The latest fall trend can be worn as an everyday top, accessory, or outerwear. These versatile pieces can work for any body type from the tiniest celebrity to the most pregnant fashion icon.
... October 19, 2015 00:00
The smell of pumpkin spice…everything fills the air! There is something magical about this time of year. Don’t get me wrong, Christmas warms my heart like every good little elf, but October has a different energy all it’s own! From warm fall sweaters to pumpkin carving with family… this month is full of just about everything you can think of. Of course, fall is also a great season for wine. So is summer, spring, and winter….but especially fall! Don’t forget to include some of our favorite fall activities while planning out your month:
- Pumpkin carving…while drinking wine.
- Costume Decorating…while drinking wine.
- Corn Maze…drink wine before.
- Just drinking wine