Mastering Wine Lips… December 26, 2015 00:00
…and I don’t mean the kind you get from a nice Merlot! Dark lips can be one of the sexiest and HARDEST looks to master. There are a few key steps to follow to keep the color going strong and looking fresh all night!
- Exfoliate!!! This is a very important, often overlooked step. Flakey lips can be a disaster under a rich lipstick color. It can leave your lips looking dry and patchy. E.L.F has an amazing (and affordable) lip exfoliator to smooth out those bad boys.
- Moisturize!! Once you get exfoliate make sure to add a coat of your favorite non-oily lip balm. Keep in mind, anything to greasy can cause an issue with the durability of the color you put over the top.
- Base Coat!! You have a few options here. You can use a tiny bit of your normal foundation or try an actual lip primer. You don’t need to glob so much on that you can’t tell where your lips start and skin ends. A think coat should do the trick to allow you to see the lipsticks true color when you apply, also, it gives it a little something to grab on to.
- Liner!! A neutral lip liner is a safe bet, because no matter the color of lipstick you are using, it will blend easily. However, if you do have a lip liner that matches the lip color, that is great too! Just make sure you line the lips carefully AND fill them in. This, paired with the foundation will help hold the color on.
- Color!! This step should be pretty self explanatory...pick your lip color and apply.
- Set the Lipstick!! Take a very thin tissue and place over the lips. Lightly dust a setting powder over the tissue. Just enough will get through to set the lipstick without looking like you had a powdered donut for dinner.